Jonathan Page Stephens

Jonathan Page Stephens

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Stardust

We had a little secret, you and I, when you were tiny. 
When your father worked nights and the apartment was quiet and dark, I would put on my favorite Willie Nelson Album and slow dance with you, and sing softly in your ear.
Your tiny wisps of breath on my neck as you slept.
You were all mine. My first true love. The first real love of my life. I had no idea that my teenaged heart could hold so much.
I sang you to sleep.
And now you sleep forever.
I see you in my dreams, in some other place. Sometimes smiling at me, taking over the horizon with your light.
There is not a single second that isn’t consumed with the longing for you now.
For this all to be a dream.
For all the singing into your voicemail not to all be for naught...the letters begging you to please return to me somewhere in a landfill.

All day I put on a face to meet faces and after work I crash into you.
I scream your name into the wind as I drive home in the evening; relentless tears streaming down my face.
My stardust baby, it cannot be. Where have you gone?


.......sometimes I wonder why I spend, the lonely nights dreaming of a song;
The melody haunts my reverie ,and I am once again with you.....

No comments:

Post a Comment